- Try to make sure only ¼ of your plate contains meat – make the rest veges.
- Choose lean mean and take skin off chicken.
- Go easy on the nuts, they add to weight gain.
- Eat fish at least 2 times a week.
- Add seeds - sunflower, pumpkin, linseed and sesame - to salads.
- Bulk out stews and casseroles with haricot beans and chickpeas.
- Whole nuts are not suitable for children under 5 years because of the risk of choking.
- Read the 2003 New Zealand Food and Nutrition Guidelines three-day meal plan to get you into the swing!
- 1 medium sized steak (120g)
- 2 slices cooked meat (100g)
- ½ cup mince or casserole (150g)
- 2 chicken drumsticks or 1 leg (110g)
- 1 egg (50g)
- 1 medium fillet fish (100g)
- 1/2 cup cooked dried beans, lentils, chickpeas (135g)
- fats: meat, mostly saturated; fish, nuts and seeds, mostly
- carbohydrates: mainly legumes
- vitamins: vit B12, niacin, thiamine
- minerals: especially iron, zinc, magnesium, copper,
- potassium, phosphorus and selenium.